The first case below is the one that drew me into this project. The second I followed as it played out, since it happened in my own county after I’d already started my research. Each story illustrates a different way the classic model of SBS can encourage well-meaning experts to reach hasty conclusions. Click a highlighted name to reach the story.
- Stephanie, a suburban adult woman babysitter, 26 years old at the time of the accusations. Her story is the spine of my book. The infant in this case might have been abused, or maybe just dropped, but the timing of the injuries is not at all clear.
- Patti, a suburban adult woman babysitter, 32 years old at the time of the accusations. I believe there was no abuse in this case: Paramedics pulled a rubber band out of the infant’s throat during resuscitation.
If you haven’t read the Prologue yet, check it out for Tammy’s story, a misdiagnosis of the genetic metabolic disorder Menkes disease.
I also bring your attention to a handful of other important cases:
- Drayton Witt, freed after a decade in prison by the Arizona Justice Project
- Audrey Edmunds, freed after a decade in prison by the Innocence Project of Wisconsin
- Ernie Lopez, who accepted a plea bargain in 2013 after his 2003 conviction was reversed in 2012.
- Pamela Jacobazzi, an adult babysitter in Illinois whose case is now being appealed by the Illinois Innocence Project. You can sign the petition for her release at http://www.change.org/petitions/free-pam-jacobazzi
- Alejandro Mendez, a father in Pennsylvania who spent 2-1/2 years in the county jail before a consulting geneticist convinced local experts that Mendez’s son had died of a vitamin K deficiency
- Russ Van Vleck
- Shirley Ree Smith, whose sentence was commuted by Governor Jerry Brown in the spring of 2012
- David and Tiffany O’Shell, an especially tragic story
A number of defendants enjoy on-line support sites and facebook pages, and a handful of courageous families who’ve survived the accusations are speaking out. If you would like to add a link to the partial list below, please post a response to this page and I will fold it in when I find the time.
- Sean O’Geary
- Heather (a Vitamin D case)
- Alex Maze
- Pam Jacobazzi (link to petition)
- Elwood Michiru (the Amanda Truth Project)
- Brandon Thompson
- Jason Curtis (link to petition)
- Michael Giovo, Jr. (link to petition)
- Jim Dossett
- Amanda Brumfield